Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 June 2018

Viaduct spring league final round

Travelled down with Chris fox and Judith today, after a nice breakfast at the Toby inn carvery in whitchurch, for which chris,s wife Caroline joined us, all very civilised, got to the fishery with about ten minutes to spare, no pools to pay as we paid that in our entry fee.
I wanted a draw on Campbell if poss, so I let Judith draw for me and as normal she didn't dissapoint, peg 127, not necessarily a peg of choice, but at least I could expect some bites,
Plenty of time for tackling up, so I set up a deep and shallow pellet rig for, 14 mtrs, a meat rig for 5mtrs, and a wag to fish at depth just past 20 mtrs.
At the start I began on the deck at 14mtrs, it didn't take to long to lose the first fouler, followed by several more, looking around most were suffering the same problem, except for the Welsh lad (sorry forgot the name , it's been a long time since our paths crossed) who was fishing the tea bag on the lead on 126 and he was catching steadily. On my right was Martin Hudson who was on lodge the day before on the maver qualifier , on peg 70 and blanked, I bumped into one of his mates in the carpark,  didn't want to give me his name, but he assured me that he answers to Gaylord, and is a chef by trade, and he is staying in one of the fishery lodges this week.
He was getting some early fish shallow, but i tried and couldn't get a bite on it, so back on the deck, I managed a couple of carp, but it was a problem trying not to foulhook, my first fish was in  the tail lol.
I tried the wag and had a couple but it wasn't right.
So untried the meat line, a bit earlier than I should have, but I was getting desperate, there were some good skimmers there, and I did get a carp out of the blue, for me it stayed difficult till about 90 minutes from the end, when all of a sudden I began to hook fish in the mouth, never enough to effect the outcome in the section, especially when you have trig in the section, but it turned out the section was fishing hard.
For some reason the fish seemed to settle , I even managed a couple on the short line, along with some good skimmers, opposite Gary o,Shea on 115 was winning a peg to peg battle with Sam Powell on peg 114, but Gary seemed to have the upper hand towards the end, it probably did him no harm when Martin Preston packed up early on 116.
At the end of turned out a lot closer than ok thought in our section, after  Niel (drawbag) Mercer had 150+, trig had 129, Martin also had 129 but less ounces, and my nets went 117, so two more carp would have out me second in the section, I certainly put back more than enough to  do that, but I never so it don't matter.
Too weight on the day went to Clayton Hudson on 85 with 250lb of mainly margin caught fish.
The league was trigs to lose, but after drawing 130 it was going to be a big ask, aidan  borduik drew 64 on lodge lake and no one was expecting him to make a mistake, and he never , winning his section, giving him a perfect score for the league, well done mateg, trig did well to come second from his peg, and
Winners pictured below, I never got the weigh sheets, so if you are reading this steve, any chance you could get  mat to send them to me, thanks
Aidan is the one in the middle, flanked by trig to  the left , Sam Powell to the right, then Mark wynne to his left again, and two to the right , Gary o,Shea, well done all, not an easy league to win or frame in as the standard is very high, well done to the long family for running another great league.
I'm running a match at Landsend fishery next Sunday , 9.30 draw , message or ring me to book in, cafe will be open.

No comments:

Post a Comment