Total Pageviews

Thursday 18 October 2018

Viaduct Thursday costcutter

Originally I was booked into the Shiplate costcutter, but with the second round of the silvers.league this Sunday it was a chance for a bit of a sneaky practice. Stopped off at cannards well for breakfast, it was ok 4.25.
Got to viaduct with about 25 minutes to spare, 36 fishing today so a split on Campbell and cary, I fancied a non carp peg, so I let mat the t,draw for me, and he has actually  gone up in my estimations as he drew for me again today, and handed me 78 on cary, a good silvers peg and it can be ok for carp,  but today I was going to fish for silvers, and with this peg being twice the depth of the surrounding swims I fancied it, there seems to be a lot of smaller skimmers on this lake at the mo, and with the lakes oxygen levels being a bit low due to the algae dying these smaller fish would hopefully still feed.
I set up a caster rig to fish by the tree to my right, and straight out at 5mtrs, a couple of .4g drennan as7 floats ,one with a 16 hook for bigger baits and an 18 for smaller baits, both rigs would do to fish at 9 and 13 mtrs out in front, and I set up a rig to fish banded 6mm pellet over hard 4,s at 16 mtrs slightly to the right, well away from my groundbait lines. On the whistle I cupped in two balls of caster laced groundbait on each of the longer.lines, some pellets on the 16mtr spot, then picked up the caster.rig and started by the tree, hoping for some of the decent hybrids and perch that often inhabit the tree , but it never really happened today , I did get a couple of the intended species but they were small fish, and the bites soon stopped, so straight out at 5 mtrs and I had a couple of skimmers, including one of about 1 1/4, and I lost a fouled.carp, which was the only one I hooked all day.
So I was.soon out on the 9mtr line and the small skimmers seemed.to be obliging, with single caster seemingly being the best bait, bewitching between the 9 and 13 mtr line I kept small skimmers coming most of the match, I tried the long pellet lines several times , and did manage some skimmers but they were no bigger.than the ones I could catch on the closer lines, but it was a lot slower due to the distance,
 I did get.two fish for 5lb towards the end,  but most of the fish were up to 8oz, with a rare one between 8oz and a pound, lovely fishing to be honest, at the end I thought I had 35lb,
Steve.started.the weigh in on this lake from peg 74, where Stu white had 48.13 of silvers, again mainly small skimmers , catching mainly on caster over caster with an occasional small ball of groundbait, a brilliant weight of these small fish, from this peg. I came second in the silvers.with 41.1, and looking around there were.quite a Few small skimmers being caught, so with the temps staying fairly constant for the weekend, the same swim would do nicely ta, only a 51 to 1 chance of it happening, better odds than the lottery.
Top 6 overall and top 3 silvers below, the carp didn't want to play ball today , people fishing for silvers never really got bothered by carp, watch that change on Sunday lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment