Total Pageviews

Monday 13 May 2019

Short pole rnd 2

Down to Dorset to Todber manor on ash and homeground lakes today, stopped in cannards for breakfast , and again it was very nice, 4.65.
It only takes about 35 minutes to get there from cannards, so we got there in plenty of time, the anglers started arriving and the full compliment was soon in attendance, so the draw was got underway on time, as I had Mark (podge) Jefferies I let him draw for me, most were hoping for homeground lake, but he hands me 68 on ash, basically smack in the middle, that was after he pulled out 89 for himself which is a corner on homeground, and as we had drawn each other in the k/o I new I had a bit of a hard job on my hands, ash lake is full of fish , as are all the lakes here, but the carp seem to like it on the long pole line or on the wag or lead to the far side , which is between 20 and 30 mtrs wide, but these matches are topset and three only, and with no line longer than your topkit, so all those dark shapes in the distance would on the whole be quite safe, for some reason this lake the margins only occasionally produce.
Rigs today were a depth pellet rig for as far out as allowed, a meat rig for slightly to the right up the shelf in three foot of water, a margin rig for pellet, and a stalking rig just in case some of the bigger fish that were cruising about would make a mistake and come closer than 16 mtrs.
I've been using some small floats from sensas for a while now, as the quest for something unbreakable in a float is always hard to find, and as yet I haven't even chipped a bit of paint , let alone break one, ccx power , I used the .2 in the margins and .3 on the long lines, both meat and pellet.
Just before the start Shawn kitteridge wandered up for a chat and enquired if his rig would be ok to use today especially as he had crushed the barbs on his size ones,
He may have got away with with a one hooked clipped down rig, but a three hook flapper may be a step to far LOL 😂.
The match on this lake was a bit difficult at times , as we expected the fish seemed to be happy further out, although there were plenty of bites, in the whole the fish were quite small, lots of little dark carp with the occasional better one to 4lb, the margin was a waste of time, even though there was an occasional mud plume, the short meat line have me three small carp and a skimmer, all my fish came from the longer pellet line, mostly on the deck, but I did manage to mug a couple of better fish when one lost its way, Glen Bailey to my left had started well on the paste,  but his sport all but dried up in the second half, Tom mangnal on 64 was catching roughly about the same pace as me, so by the end it would be between him and me for the section, and he weighed in 96lb to my 89lb, so about three fish in it, I did go 1lb over in a net but it never mattered luckily,
On peg 70 Ryan shipp had a lovely day catching 60lb of silvers and 50b of pounds of carp which was too weight on our lake,
As we thought all of the top overall weights came from homeground, with Dean  malin making no mistakes on peg 90 for top weight on the day with 180lb, well done,
Weigh sheets below as normal, lots of good weights with plenty of fish caught , even on a limited pole length match.


No comments:

Post a Comment