Total Pageviews

Friday 16 August 2019

Huntstrete coffin dodgers

Thursday morning and it was on the bacon butty run before driving to the dave crookes fishery at huntstrete, for there and we ended up with 21 fishing, so not to bad, I had a quick walk round with Mike Nicholls before the draw, and we both fancied a peg towards the car park end of the lake, I did mention that I would like 21 as I've never drawn it, but as long as I avoided any peg past the second island I would be confident of having a day's fishing, I think the westerly winds have pushed virtually all the fish to the near end of the lake, captain Ken got the draw underway on time, and I was fairly early into the draw bag of doom, and out comes peg 1, you couldn't get further away from the fish 😂. Mike nicholls won off this peg a fortnight ago, but with no wind on the water, which was going to make for a comfortable day as it was blowing a hooly towards the other end, but the fish had gone with it, so my best chance would be to target the residents which live under the weeds on the end bank.
I did think I may get a few silvers early doors so I set up a rig for skimmers on a topset and 2 to fish caster over a bit of groundbait, a rig for hard pellet at 14 mtrs slightly to the left, a margin rig for the left hand side, (no bites on that), another to my right against the weeds,(tackle graveyard)at 9mtrs.
At the all in I fed all lines with the various baits I was going to use, started on the short caster line, 20 minutes and no bites, so I put on a maggot, result 2 inch perch, after a few of those it was back out with a caster, towards the end of the first hour just as I was beginning to think I was wasting my time, when I had a small run of half tidy skimmers, 4 to be precise, and a couple of small tench, that was the end of my short line, the few times I tried it resulted in plippy roach, the visiting skimmer shoal never returned. I tried the long pellet line and had two bites, an f1and a 2lb common, that was it for that line aswell, into the right hand margin , I was soon attached to a carp which won the battle of the reeds, next bite came from a ferry nice looking f1 cross, definitely a bit of goldfish in this one.
I followed this one with couple of small carp, but again apart from a couple of liners that line dried, out of desperation I plumbed up at 16 mtrs fishing over the top of the aerater, which was the only part of the peg which seemed to show any signs of life, but that was only  occasional life, I did manage two better carp from this line and lost three, definitely not fishing for the faint hearted, at the end I thought I had about 20lb, not to far out 23.12, as expected all the weights came from the car park end with nothing of note being caught past the second island, the three anglers to my left never weighed and the corresponding pegs opposite also had nothing of any consequence, Mike nicholls won off 21 with 90lb, making it three on the trot, he certainly seems to have the venue taped at the moment, and he never goes further that topset and and one, (normally), I think John Smith on 28 was second with Steve Dawson on 16 third, silvers again went to Paul barnfield on peg 26 with 17lb, off to ivy house this weekend for the open, it's on the canals and I'm looking forward to it,

No comments:

Post a Comment