Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 October 2014

End of an era and a match at emerald pool

Well it's been there for 35 years and I,ve been behind the counter for 32 of those , but Avon angling will be closing the door for the last time at some stage in November , to say it's been an interesting time is a bit of an understatement, I,ve met a lot of really good people and only a few strange ones luckily. I could right a book on it, but but it could never be published lol.
I started there in 82 when dave Morgan owned it, he sold it in 85 to Rodney and Freda Warwick and I took over in 89, that lasted till 94 when I went bankrupt(always keep on top of the paperwork). That's when John. The gimp, took over and he has controlled me very well till now,
It's not due to financial reasons we are closing , it's being unable to come to an agreement with the landlord over lease , so there it is , I would like to say a big thanks to all our customers who have kept me employed and entertained for the last 32 years, but the biggest thanks must go to judith who has put up with and supported me for this period, there aren't to many who would have I know. and if anyone knows of a job which gives me Wednesdays and Sundays off with plenty of coffee breaks please let me know as I may be your man .
Back to the fishing , we were at emerald pool today for a knock up, only 12 fishing, I was up to 16 at one stage but had some late cancellations. I did something today which I haven't done for a long time , I cocked the draw up and had to have a redraw, 2nd time round I ended up on peg 2 , which fabio had on the first draw, he wasn't to pleased as it's a flyer, first peg over the main bridge  , to the left of the bridge, I had mr kedge to my left the other side of the bridge and I was next to mr cochrane again, this was ans anything goes match with an even split for silvers and overall, and you could win both. My main attack was 6 mm hard pellet over loose fed 4,s at 13 mtrs in front and 14 mtrs towards the empty peg on the other side of. The bridge. I did have a few ropey casters left from the weekend so I set up 4 mtr to hand. Rig for that, the other three rigs were for pellet, one for on the deck, one for shallow and one for the long left hand margin.
I started on the caster rig and after 40 mins all I had to show were three hybrids (roach bream), Giles to my right had started longer and was getting some nice silvers and odd carp on a shallow rig, kedgy was struggling , in hindsight I should have left his peg out as it's very shallow and a lot of colour has dropped out of the water. I went out on the deep rig and started getting bites on banded 6 mm , and liners had me reaching for the shallow rig, several carp and hybrids later the bites went a bit iffy, Giles was ahead by this stage and I was looking at getting some verbal payback from him, with 2 hours to go I went to the long left hand margin and began hatching well, again on banded 6mm, and with an hour to go I had 22 carp in my net and with a 70lb net limit I put a second carp net in, and in the last hour I had 13 more, I think I left it a bit to long to go along the edge, so I ended the match with 35 carp and quite a few accidental silvers in the shape of hybrids and small tench, mostly taken shallow at 13 mtrs,
P-nut lee came first with 132.9 of the bridge peg at the far end of the carpark, catching well on maggot over groundbait against the far bank,
2nd me with 116.7
3rd Giles cochrane 111.8
4th Craig Edmunds 104.8
5th kevin (kieth) jefferies, 64.1
6th Tim Clark, 51.1
Silvers
Ron hardiman, 35.8
Giles cochrane 25.7
Tim Clark, 25.6
All in all a very enjoyable match,
As for the shop all good things must come to an end, one door closes, hopefully another one will open, I will still be running matches next year as my calendar is already full ,the float only league is booked as is the short pole match at trinity, I will put a complete list of dates on here in the next couple of weeks.



















1 comment:

  1. Good luck Tony and Gimpo what ever you decide to do, your turn for coffee next time i see you down the eye hosp.
    DC

    ReplyDelete