Total Pageviews

Friday 22 May 2015

Viaduct Thursday costcutter

Another good turnout today with  31 fishing , and with cambell being booked we found ourselves on Cary and lodge, into the tin and out comes 70 on lodge which is the carpark side of the aerator rope , not the best but with the sun out I thought there may be a few cruisers about  ,getting to the peg and as far as the cruisers went the there was a lot of emphasis on few , for company I had the thyers pocket rocket in the shape of titch Williams on 71 and his nephew by marriage mat tomes on 69, who asked for the normal squid side bet, be rude not to accept really.
With carp in mind I set up a meat rig for 5 mtrs and two pellet rigs for 14 mtrs . One for on the deck and a shallow rig on a long line for stalking if any came into range.
On the all in I saw a couple of fish come into range so I went out shallow , dropped the rig in front of them and one took it , got down to my topkit quite quickly, thought I had it under control , then my .20 line snapped on the hooklink loop, bugger, with no more swimmers coming close I went out on the deck rig and missed a couple of bites on banded 8mm before netting a nice skimmer, then a couple of liners had me reaching for the shallow rig, after a couple of minutes slapping the rig around in the feed , I hooked a good fish which ended up safely in the net and being a double figure common, it was a good start, bit of a false dawn as that was the last carp I hooked on the long line apart from a fouler I lifted into which jumped and came off in titch,s swim, looking around it seemed the whole lake was fishing really bad, so by the halfway mark and a few more decent skimmers in the net, two of which were reversed into the net , which Dom Sullivan took great delight in photographing . So halfway through I was off my box and putting up another topkit for the skimmers as I thought 14 elastic was a bit over the top really. Titch was struggling apart from roach taking a liking to his meat and soft pellet, and on his wag line liners were all he could tempt, and mat was finding it hard , he did have three carp but bites were at a premium not just on our bank, but all round the lake, Cary seemed to be better with quite a few carp coming out , but not as good as recent weeks.  I kept trying the meat line but never had a bite there till 4.30 and I had a carp of about 8lb which was probably the ugliest carp in the lake with a badly disfigured face and gill plate, but still very welcome. At the end I reckoned on 40lb of silvers and two carp for 20 odd pounds and that's how it ended up, my silvers went 42lb and the two carp weighed 21.12. For a 63.12 total which was second on the lake , Scott russell on 59 won the lake with 88.11. Apart from bob Harris who by his own admission lost his ass and didn't want to push his rig under the trees on peg 66 ha ha , hope your mates see this matey,
Overall it was a hard day with j mills winning on the day with 152.2 off peg 96
2nd b norie, (can't read his writing, cockney scrall) on 97 with 141.13
3rd dan white on 98 (bit of a pattern there then) 134.5
4th m Hanham on 94 with 126
5th mark warne on 88 with 106.4
Silvers
M skyme on 77 with 52lb
2nd me with 42lb
3rd gabe skarba with 40.7.  I new my two foulhooked skimmers would come in handy,
I still can't get my head around cost cutters, payouts for overall and silvers were the same , so coming second in the match and second overall meant the same money , so the brown envelope contained 15 quid so it's a loss then , perhaps it is just about the day out, after all you do get 6 hours of enjoyment sat in the fresh air with people you generally like , you could be. Spending it watching a football match which costs a lot more and only lasts 90 .
Back down here on Sunday for the third round of the spring series, which I have realistically blown out of after two rounds, at least I am still in the k/o but having drawn trig Edmunds who is on fire lately my days may well and truly be numbered in that (yea right, your ass is mine). I think steve may have a place or two to fill on Sunday so if you fancy it give steve a ring at the fishery on 01458274022 to check
















1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet up with you again Tony.At least my underpants stayed clean by not going under that tree?.We wound Billy up by telling him I got £15 for a section win.He got a score for coming 2nd,lol(score is £20 cockney talk)Booked a lodge for next year,but it's in September hoping the carp have lost a bit of teresterone by then.I enjoy your blogs,even though you all talk funny down there. Regards Bob.

    ReplyDelete