Total Pageviews

Monday 26 January 2015

Landsend league round 2

After a nice brekkie in lillypool cafe it was off to the draw with smeagol, aka Jason Radford, we got there just before the draw and with a bit of tactical chatting (learnt from Anton page) I found myself near the front of the queue, just ahead of Anne hegerty( mr poppleton) and waiting for Kendra Rayner to put the tickets into the relevant buckets as this is a series where you fish each lake once then have a redraw on the fourth match, it was my turn for match lake today, into the bucket and out comes 15, a good draw but on Saturdays match this lake fished really hard with only 30 something pounds and glyn wickham on my peg only managed 2lb of silvers(so I was told). I also had ken(dra) in the k/o and he was on 20 which was the peg he had drawn the day before and won the silvers with 11lb, but looking at the water I was suprised to see a tinge of colour in the water which was promising , getting to my peg I had trig Edmunds for company on 13 and an angler who has turned into a bit of a nemesis to me in the shape of a slightly chubby dan white. Also me and trig had a big slab of cat ice in our swims , but it melted away before the start, after the last time I was here and having to watch ken(dra) catch on prawns in his margins I had got some with me today but I had to put them into a dirty box to stop me eating them, I set up a margin rig for them and also the same rig would do for corn into the other side margin, but I only tried these margins once towards the end of the match but with no indications and a gut feeling I wasn't going to get a bite either, so no more on that waste of line and a hook then, I was glad I never took all the prawns today so that's a sarnie filling sorted for next week.
I set up a caster rig for 5 mtrs and two long pole rigs to fish at 14 mtrs at 11 and 1 angles , there was a big depth variation on the 2 lines with it being only 3 foot to the right but but 5 foot to the left, mainly due to the aerator in 13 which shifts all the silt/fish poo down the lake, hence the shallow water to my right , I set up to fish maggot over micros to my right and banded 6mm hard pellet over loose fed 4,s to my left. All rigs were 4x12 affairs as there was no wind to speak of and none forecast, the pellet rig had an 18 b960 on .14 line. The maggot rig had a 18 8313 on .12 and the silver rig had my fave hook which is the 6313 on .10.
At the start I fed some soaked micros with a few 4,s in some prawns and corn each side and fired some 4,s to my left, then started on the caster at 5 mtrs, it took me 10 mins to get a bite which was from a good perch, by now trig had snared a carp an f1 and lost one on soft pellet out by the aerator at  14 mtrs, 20 mins later the float dipped again and I was attached to something angry which wasn't hooked in  a part of the body it should have been, I came back with a slightly opened hook, so I took that off and put the stronger 20 8313 on .12 , this hook is the same size as the 18 6313 but much stronger making it a good hook for silvers aswell as being strong enough for carp, but that was the end of my silver line I never had another bite there, trig was catching and losing fish, but luckily he wasn't in my section, as I expected it was a hard day for most , including me , although I ended up with 60lb for a section win it wasn't hectic, I had 8 carp, three to my right on treble maggot over the micros and four to my left on banded pellet and one on a banded maggot shallow rig at 16 mtrs towards the end of the island , trig had a few on. The same sort of rig up the end bank , he also caught well on banded pellet on top of the island end bank shelf, just goes to prove on some days even in. The depths of winter the fish will venture into shallow water, it all depends where the warmest bit is, trig only fished in there as he could see them swimming up and down the far bank, not to much like an aquarium then. He ended up with 20 carp for 115lb and his second win in two weekends , second was Adrian Clark on peg 1 with 111lb, third was nick duckett on peg 11 AGAIN with 97lb then in. Fourth it was the irrepressible Pete nurse on peg 33 with over 90lb, I didn't get the full results but I,m sure ken will have. Them on his blog, I think I was 5 th with 60lb and mike duckett 6th with 57lb.
Top silver weight was Jason Radford on peg 70 with 16lb ish.
Off to emerald again on Thursday then round 2 of the viaduct winter league on Sunday, but with a nasty icy blast due towards the end of the week I,m not expecting it to be to good especially as I am on cambell Sunday and it can be a cruel lake in the cold .





















No comments:

Post a Comment