Total Pageviews

Friday 7 August 2015

Thursday costcutter , avalon

Not to bad a turnout today with 15 of us , just enough for the left hand bank, 1 to 23 . I let kev molten draw for me , I was hoping to avoid peg 3 but luckily rich Coles drew that one , phew, so he gives me peg 1 instead, not as bad as three but still a bit of an all or nothing peg recently, with more emphasis on the nothing , at least it was a short walk, all of 20 mtrs from the van door, I fancied a day trying to catch the some of the lakes big skimmer population so I was armed with worms, casters and groundbait for that, plus the obligutary 6 and 8mm pellets for feeding at 16 mtrs in front and up the end bank margin, I set a .6 rig for the skimmers with a 16 middy 6313 hook to .12 yuki line which I must say seems very good especially as it mikes up spot on but is very strong (4lb).
Plus pellet rigs for 16 mtrs in front and a shallow and on the deck peg against the edge bank.
At the start I cupped in one ball of g bait at 6 mtrs and three at 11 mtrs and fed some pellets onto the pellet lines.
Beginning at 6 mtrs I never had a bite for 20 mins even though there were fish blowing over both groundbait lines , the first bite was a decent skimmer of about 2lb, false dawn !!!. By now there were some slurping noises coming from the end bank but I ignored them as they would stay there as long as I kept feeding  them. Being on peg 1 means I couldn't see another soul except for the bailiffs opposite so I couldn't gauge what was happening , I spent far to long on the silvers , I am convinced they were over the groundbait as the float was moving up and down indicating something was in residence, but I couldn't get them to take the bait , I tried off the deck , on the drop, smaller baits but that just attracted small roach, the best approach was to sit and wait with a big bit of dendra on the hook, when it did go to the end bank I had a quick run of small 1lb plus carp shallow before they disappeared , so I rested that and went back over the g bait for another skimmer bringing my tally to 12 good skims for 20 odd pounds, back to the end bank but on the deck there now as the shallow fish soon wished up to having a pole tip over there heads, but I caught steadily for the last 90 mins but they were still small with more over under 2lb than over, I did get one 6lb fish and a few between 2 and 4 but the majority being under 2lb , I ended up with 18 carp for 47.8 and the 12 skimmers went 22.2 for 69.10 only good enough for 5th, I cocked up really as I should have fished more up the end bank , as I could only seem to get one skimmer at a time then have to wait ages for another bite, so if I had switched between the two lines in between the skimmers I would probably have got in the money , but I will never know.
1st went to glen"2 pots" bailey up on 22 with a very good 153.8 on his one and only trick ,PASTE.
Oh yes and he likes lead chucking, he also won the silvers with 26 .4 of accidental skimmers so FairPlay to him as he was miles ahead of the chasing pack.
2nd was another paste angler in the shape of bridgwaters roads minister mike west with 85.3 on peg 9
3rd Adrian jeffery on peg 16(again) with 72.10
4th gary(Ned) flinders on peg 19 with 72.5
5th me with 69.10 , one or two mre carp would have put me third
6th ray white on 6 with 66.9
Silvers by default went to ziggy slowinski with 25.8 on peg 12 closely followed by mike west on peg 20 with 25lb.













No comments:

Post a Comment