Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 June 2018

Landsend open, match lake, no2

Travelled on my own today as Jason wanted to watch the football, and Judith didn't come as we didn't have a dog helper, but as normal di didn't disappoint with the breakfast, the normal 4.9. Only 13 fishing , probably due to the football I think. I would much rather be outside than watching a forgone conclusion I must say, but there were a couple of radios on the bank so we knew what was going on, even though Steve seagars 4g was operating several seconds behind the radio, so we all new the score before he did, lol.
I let Joe McMahon draw for me and he handed me 19, obviously no complaints from me on that one.
Company wise I had Leon Hubbard to my left on 18, who is threatening to fish the over 55,s matches , as he turns 55 tomorrow, happy birthday tomorrow matey., And Joe drew 21 and was the next angler to my right. Opposite I had none other than than the fire brigades only daffodil, Tony witcomb, on his first trip out this year, and as he was sitting on form peg 6 with his bucket of sloppy paste at the ready , we hoped it wouldn't work as we would never hear the last of it.
Only had 6 mm hard pellets for feed and some 8,s for the hook, I set up a mugging rig, a couple of pellet rigs , one for across in 8 inches of water, and a margin rig which also would do for across in a little bay in the reed bed, and a rig for 5 mtrs on 8mm hard pellet only, the 5 mtr line never had a look, and the margin never gave me a bite, so no more on those areas then.
I began on the mugging rig, and had 6 fish on that by the end of the first hour, which was as good as anyone else I could see, into the second hour and with the fish disappearing I had to go across into the island, plenty of fish showing but extremely cagey, basically you have to keep feeding and wait for one to make a mistake, and a few do, but not enough for me today, Joe to my right and Gary o,Shea next to him seemed to be doing the best, also Steve seagar had a good first half of the match, but slowed a bit in the second half, I had a quiet middle of the match whereas Leon had a real strong spell, catching well against the island , going into the last hour it was tight between Leon and me, but we were well adrift of the two anglers to my right, but I had a reasonable last hour, while Leon and Steve seagar all but stopped catching, I thought I had at least 120lb but I new Joe and Gary both had 150+, I wasn't to far out as Joe won with 170+ and Gary had 150+, so well done to those two, I was third with over 130lb and Steve seagar had a few pounds over the ton, it was a torrid day for most of us with loads of fish in the shallows against the island,  it very hard to tempt, weigh sheet below,
On a bright note , Mike has got a contactor coming in every month to run through each lake clearing the bankside and islands, starting from next week, I must say it is still one of my favourite venue,s, it's always a bit challenging, with different pegs winning every week at this time of year, winter time is a bit different, but what venue isnt.
Float only at Todber next Sunday on hillview and homeground, so looking forward to that, also the Thursday costcutter at Shiplate is on the canals, can't wait, as I hadn't been on Hawthorn for a few years and not on  westpool for nearly a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment