Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 November 2018

Landsend individual winter league round 1

I enjoy this league , it a friendly affair fished by a nice bunch of people, and always starts with one of di,s lovely breakfasts, ably assisted by the efficient olive.
Being round 1 this starts the series with a random draw, by the time I had had my breakfast and got my kit out of the van I was fairly late into the bucket, in I go and I pull out 58, which is the last peg in use on the right hand bank of lake 3, and it's the longest walk, but I will admit it is one of my favourite pegs at the fishery, it's an island in front , two nice margins , and a sunken weedbed at 15 mtrs to the right , which is a banker area of all else fails.
The only angler could see today was mat tomes opposite on peg 55, to my left on peg 62 was Nick duckett , I couldn't see him, only the end of his pole stuck out beyond the end of the bushes.
I set up a rig to fish pellet off the end of the island, the same rig would do for down the right hand margin, and also towards the weedbed , it was within a couple of inches wherever I fished, which is dead handy, saves making up to many rigs, the other rigs were one for to the left with meat, and another for dobbing maggot and meat.around the peg, at the start I went out on the  dobber with treble white maggot, as bread is banned.
40 mins in and only.two small rudd were in the net, Matt opposite had had a couple, so I binned the  dobber and went to the island with banded 8mm, after I had fed all lines minimilistically, (don't think that's spelt right).
I had a bit of a disaster, as I hooked three and lost all of  them, two were fouled, but one wasnt, it was a wallower, and they come in easy across the top nodding from side to side, and they often come adrift, as this one did, so I left this line for a while.And went to the weedbed, luckily I hooked one and it ended up in the net this time, I had a flurry of fish up towards the weeds, which probably edged me ahead of matt , who was on 4 fish, also I could see Nick getting odd fish. Went back across to the island and nicked a couple.from there, then back to the weedbed and  two more, I tried to catch as much as I could up towards the weeds as from experience I know it dies as the match goes on, probably due to the commotion created by dragging  fish away from the weeds, I did try.The margins each side but never had a bite, even though the right hand side looks great.
When the scales got to me Bob gullick on 41 was winning the lake with 36lb, my.fish went 48lb but my lead was short lived as Nick had 52lb, so I had to settle for second on the lake, it was a difficult day on the fishery as a whole, even though Paul elmes on 16 did well to win with 111lb, but nick was second on the day and I was third.
The weigh sheets below show hard it was for many today.



No comments:

Post a Comment