Total Pageviews

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Weds open shiplate farm. Hawthorn lake

Not enough again today to call it a match, so it was more of a friendly knock up, it's always difficult to peg a match when there isn't enough on the lake, there ends up being to many big gaps and the fish tend to back off into the spare pegs. I had the last peg in the bucket and ended up with peg 7, right in the middle of the lake.
I set up 3 rigs , one for corn down the middle, a rig for caster just off the far bank to fish caster , the same rig would do for shallow down the edge which works well on this lake as the margins are over 3 foot deep, and a rig to fish on the deck in the margins, and a corn rig for 6 mtrsall hooks were size 18 middy 8313 hooks to .14 line. For company each side I had the gimp to my right and fabio to my left. I had decided to fish caster as I had 3 pints left from the weekend , normally I would have used maggot here as there are no real nuisance small fish to annoy me , but we had all but sold out of maggots in the shop so old
casters it had to be then, at the start I cupped in some soaked 4mm pellets with a few pieces of corn at 6 mtrs, cupped some casters just off the far side and began throwing some into the margins each side. The 6 mtr corn line wasnt to good and I only had 3 carp and a roach to show for my efforts after 45 mins , so I switched to far side and caster on the hook, feeding with a catty, I had a few carp and small chub but agains I was going nowhere fast really, so I changed to putting a healthy pot of caster in this seemed to be better and I would catch 2 or 3 carp before I had to re feed, the margins gave up a few aswell , especially shallow against the reeds, in fact I never went in there until I saw the reeds knocking, the last half of the match was the best and I ended up with just over 30 carp for 90lb or so, when the scales turned up I actually weighed 110.6 lb for first on the day
2nd was fabio with 76.14
3rd Aaron britnell 68.13
4th dave blakemore 57.7
5th Ron hardiman, 51.8
6th the gimp, John Bradford 50.2 who also won the silvers with 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment