Total Pageviews

Friday 26 April 2019

Over 55,s, huntstrete bridge pool

Had my obligatory bacon and egg sarnie on the way and got to the fishery in plenty of time, after to warm weather of recent days it was a bit of a shock to the system when I got out of the van, there was a blustery cold wind blowing across the lake, so a nice sheltered swim would do, chatting with Mike nicholls he said he fancied 24 , so into the draw bag and what do I pull out ,24 !!!!, It's a good peg and one I normally head to when Judith come out with me as it's a nice short reach to the island, about 11 mtrs, but I tend to fish at about 7 mtrs which gets you into about 2foot of water. With pellet over pellet, (hard of course).
Also being stuck out on a bit of a point it gives a nice margin each side , and with about 2 foot of water in these areas the same rig which I was going to use towards the island would do the same swims.

Also it can be a reasonable skimmer peg, ( yes it has it all), so a rig for soft pellet at 8 and 13mtrs slightly off to the left in the deeper water, I also set a pellet rig to fish on the left and right hand side of the island in about 12 inches of water,
At the start, as normal I fed all areas with the relevant baits, but started on the skimmers to let the carp (hopefully) settle, I decided to give the skimmer lines about an hour, but ended up spending 90 minutes on them , but  it wasn't happening with about 3lb to show for my efforts, so onto the carp rig at 7mtrs, and I soon had a couple of f1,s, followed by a couple of 2lb skimmers, all on 8mm hard pellet, then I had a nice carp of about 12lb,  a  bit of an old warrior, with one eye, and it's a fish I caught on the last match here when I was up on peg 1.
That was the last of my action from there, I tried the shallow island swims, but although there were odd fish mooching about I think the water although looking coloured was deceptively clear, I did get an f1 and a ten pound carp late on from there but it's not right at the moment, the carp seem to want to be in slightly deeper water, so most of the match was spent in each margin,
The right hand margin was the most productive to begin with with the lakes f1,s making it interesting, I was losing a few as there is a weedbed about 2  mtrs off the bank, although it's soft weed and the line cuts it off a few did escape  enroute. Also I had a couple of small carp from there, but the bigger carp from the left hand side, at the end I thought I had about 65lb of carp plus my few silvers, And when Thursday newbe Jeff Grant arrived with the scales I wasnt to far out as my carp went 69lb and silvers 7lb, for 76lb total, and first on the day, silvers went to Mike nicholls on peg 30 with 20lb,
It was a difficult day for most, certainly not made any easier by a horrible gusting wind the kept changing direction direction due to the hills around the fishery, the weigh sheets below show how difficult it was for people due to the wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment