Total Pageviews

Monday 23 December 2019

Shiplate Xmas match

Stopped in at the Wessex flyer for breakfast with Lee waller and Martin lenaghan, nice breakfast (4.5) and we were the only ones in there, very strange as it's normally buzzing.
Got to the lakes to find there were 35booked in , so 10 on each of the side canals, Hawthorn and West pool, and 15 on the main lake, I must admit I was hoping for one of the side lakes, hopefully Hawthorn as I never get to fish it, and it's a style of fishing I really enjoy, lots of far bank fishing this time of year and a bit of margin work aswell, also the wind would be off our backs, into the draw bucket and peg11 on the main lake was my peg for the day, a good peg and I couldn't believe I was in it, then I realised Paul faiers wasn't here today, he's drawn it that often recently the feet on his seatbox has left imprints in the mud that no ones else's box will fit.
For company I had the affable Mike Owens on 10 and local expert John Hawkins on 12.
I set up two pole rigs, both .4g , one a drennan as4 and the other a wire stem float I think it's an as7, but don't hold me to it, both with 18 guru f1 maggot books on ,10 sensas feeling .
And also set up was a wag on which I was going to fish meat in line with the end of the island in about 4foot of water, books on this were the Preston 15 inch ones with the bait bayonet and a size 18 hook, I normally tie all my own books but I tried these last year and I got to say they are very good, I have tried a few other makes with the guru ones being very good aswell, but that's where it ends, I've tried other high profile makes  but they don't reach the mark .
Any way the match for underway and I cupped in a small ball at 5mtrs , three balls at 13 mtrs slightly to the right, and two balls to the left.
Starting at 5 mtrs and I expected to catch some roach straight away, but 25 minutes and only one bite and one roach, and I was reaching for the rig to fish at 13 mtrs, I had a couple of handsize skimmers for both lines, then a 2lb sample but after that it went quiet, so I had a go on the wag with 8mm meat, which I had been feeding from the start, the float went under after about 20minutes but all I hooked was fresh air, but it did correspond with ducks swimming over my line, but next chuck it went under again, but this time solid resistance, and a nice 8lb fish was soon in the net, 20 minutes later and another of about the same size, I was becoming to think I may start getting a few , but nothing for 30 minutes, so back on the pole for a few 8to 12oz skimmer,s, that slows so I refed both lines and went back out on the wag, and I was soon netting a nice 10lb common.
Back onto the silver,s, and I had a some more 10/12oz skimmers before they disappeared again, so the last 45minutes was spent back out on the wag, a good move as I had my best fish, another nice common but this was about 13lb, so by the end I thought my carp would go 40lb and I had double figures of silvers. The scales.for to me and 40+ pounds.was.winning the lake and as far.as.I had seen Mark Thorne behind me on West pool was top with just over 50lb, my silvers.went 13.4 and my 4 carp weighed 41.12 for a 55lb total, which was top until they weighed Hawthorn lake where Mark wynne on peg 4 had just short of 70lb, so I ended up 2nd but my silver weight was top on the day, and I got another nugget off the bank of culpin.
The weigh sheets below as normal, well done and thanks to Steve and Carol for running a nice match, with mince pies and sausage rolls, and thanks to Ray wickhams wife for the puff pastry mince pies, very nice.


I hope you all have a nice Christmas from Judith and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment