Total Pageviews

Friday 17 July 2020

Hunstrete coffin dodgers and disabled

Back on bridge pool again today after a short drive from home after a bacon butty stop at a local greasy spoon, sarney was good but the takeaway tea was pants, even worse than the ones colin makes at the shop 😆.
Anyway got to the lake in plenty of time, and Dave Gillard soon had the social distancing draw underway, when my name.was.called there were still a few.pegs I would have liked, but Dave pulled out peg 8 for me again, that's two matches in the trot, and I had peg 7 the match before that, so not moving to far at the mo. 
I had John fry to my left and Wayne storry to my right, and Barney directly opposite.
The peg looks nice, with an island at about 25mtrs, and up until this year had been a good skimmer peg but for some reason it's gone off the boil this year, last match on here I struggled with conventional silvers baits on the pole so all I set up was a deep and shallow rig for hard pellet, 6,s over 4,s, and a margin rig for pellet to my left to the empty pallet, and a waggler to fish to the island which was the best method last time, again for hard pellet, so a nice simple bait tray, 4,s and 6,s to feed and a few 8,s for the band .
At the start I fed some 4,s on the long pole line, which was only 13 mtrs, any longer and shipping in and out becomes a pain as the peg is only 2 mtrs from the track leading to the other lakes , so it entails breaking down every two sections, anyway after feeding that I picked up the wag rod and began on that, oh and I nearly forgot , Barney opposite was going to fish the wag aswell but snapped his rod after a few practice casts before the start, just when I thought I was going to get the island to myself, rod dufferty next to him came to his rescue and lent him a rod, 
I had bites from the start, but f1,s on the waggler are a tricky opponent, with lots of missed bites, I would get a few bites, then nothing as they backed off into the brambles, so I needed to rest it, try the pole ,maybe catch a skimmer or two then go back out on the waggler to repeat the catch and rest process. The whole lake seemed to be very hard , as far as I could tell Barney was doing the best, on the pole for the biggest part as he really struggled to get a bite on the waggler, by the end I thought Barney had won , but not being able to see the pegs behind the islands it was hard to know what else had happened.
But it turned out Barney did win with 43lb , and I came in second with a bit under 38lb, I had 9lb of skimmers, and the rest was f1,s, so ok really, but for some reason the lake switched right off, pleasure fishing on this lake can be really good, but stick a match on it and it just turns off, lots of people have a theory, I just think it's the onslaught of bait and tackle going in at  the same time upsets the fish , they don't like it.
Weigh sheets below as normal.


No comments:

Post a Comment