Total Pageviews

Monday 18 February 2013

Viaduct teams of 5 winter league

This is the biggest league in the area with 95 anglers fishing so it's well worth attending, and with the best anglers in the area attending it makes it difficult to do well individually, so a good draw is always needed , as far as the team approach goes there is never a method to secure good points for the team, it's not like other venues further north in the country where f1,s play a part and the same methods work in the majority of pegs so its possible to fish as a team, at viaduct you really need to be more of an individual in your approach as the team goes due to shape and nature of the lakes with big fish and silvers playing a big part on the day.
It was my turn on spring lake section today and to do well its generally accepted that an island chuck or one of the productive corners is needed, there are 2 pegs on middle lake in the spring lake section and these can be very good providing some fish have swum through the channel from spring lake,
Into the draw and I end up on 38 which is the one in middle nearest the channel, I haven't drawn this peg for probably ten years and the last time I did I won with about 120lb on the pellet wag, now that isn't going to work today as its a tad cold and pellets ain't allowed in matches, I did have a carp angler opposite me and he was putting Pva bags of pellets out with enough in each to feed for the entire match, then he starts throwing boilies and donkey chokers over the top, needless to say he blanked,
A quick chat with fishery owner steve long and he informed me that there had been lots of silvers in the swims lately, so that was what I would do then , Anton page came round and reckoned dobbed bread around the margins would be a good option, but as he doesn't feed any thing very often it would be a favoured method for him, I did listen and went up to woodies cafe and scrounged a couple of slices(thanks stu), but I never used it so the ducks were ok after, I set up a margin rig which would do for dobbing and corn but I don't think there were to many carp my side of the gap as all I had was a hybrid and a roach, both on double corn, also a wag was put up for corn on the other side of the gap but the wind pushing through the gap meant the float wouldn't stay still long enough so that was never used, the pol gave me all my action today , I began by feeding 3 balls of g bait at 13 mtrs and some caster and corn at 16 mtrs for any carp or skimmers that may be floating around a bit further out, the rig for over the g bait was a 4x14 j21 with an 18 middy 6313 on .10, the corn rig was a 4x12 impact 6 with. 16 middy 8313 on .14, for company I fabio sat behind me, he still can't fish as the plaster is not off his arm for another fortnight and he has gone a bit stir crazy, so a day watching may be therapeutic , or it may tip him over the edge as he is really missing not fishing, starting over the groundbait with a single maggot and I missed a bite on the drop first put in, so I slipped a caster n a nd had a couple of quick roach before I had a 12oz skimmer, and to be honest there isn't much more to say really as I had bites from small roach and skimmers over the13 mtr line most of the day, I did have a few better skimmers from the 16 mtr line on corn but you only seemed to get one bite on that line then you had to re feed and leave it , as the match went on it became apparent that my section on spring was not fishing well with only a few people having one carp and there weren't to many silvers being caught anywhere on the venue, so I just stayed with the silvers, and I,m glad I did as I ended up with 32.4 to win the silvers on the day and come second on my lake section, it turned out the carp had a proper munch on the other lakes with I think 7 weights over 100lb.
Leading the charge was des shipp on peg 86 with 191.1 catching on meat on the lead at about 50 mtrs
2nd dave romain on 53 lodge with 175.10
3rd mark poppleton on 116 with 152.12
4th richard wyatt 146.2 on peg 73
5th Martin Preston 136.14 , peg 4
6th mash 128.13 peg 78
Silvers me with  32.4
As for the league viaduct select are in the lead with 127 pts , closely followed by thatchers vets on 126 then browning west Wales on 117
As for Avon angling we were 12 on the day I think with some having a real struggle, brian(mugger) shanks hasn't seemed to grasp the idea that we are fishing for max points in the section not penalty points and I don't think he has caught over 3lb in two matches,
Some of the best entertainment was from behind me on match lake with mark harper clipping up all nice before the start then throwing his wag up the tree at the start, then mike nicholls on 52 really finding it hard to get his float into the water as he spent most of the early part of the match extracting his wag from the tree behind him, he then had to put the float rod away as he lost all his shot to the trees behind lol

3 comments:

  1. now we know why mike nicholls only ever fishes a top kit its because he is crap at anything else lol.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fishing rivers is really good practice for dealing with trees, getting my gear back that is lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "mugger" shanks .... good one, like your style :-)

    ReplyDelete