Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 October 2015

Viaduct silvers league , round 1

after the normal tasty breakfast at lillypool cafe it was off to the fishery ,49 were fishing today , there was meant to be 51 fishing but a couple of Larry let downs knocked it back, I can't believe people can't phone or txt to let organisers know they ain't coming, it's hard organising these things, that's me whinge over and done with.
I got early into the draw tin, and I fancied a peg on lodge preferably 68/69 or 70, I wasn't to disappointed to find 71 staring back at me from the swim card. It can be a good skimmer peg , suffice to say I had a bit of stick from the rest of the queue, for company I had inform craig(trigger) Edmunds on 73 and another tony ? On peg 70, and with Fabio, Dan squires , Nicky Collins and Paul elmes at our end of the lake it was never going to be quiet , and the banter was good , unfortunately for Fabio it was mostly directed at him, after all he hasn't fished to much this year so we had a bit of catching up to do, but he took it well.
I like to keep all things as simple as possible for my silvers fishing , so only two rigs to make up. Both 4x12 floats , heavy enough as the water is down at least a foot , one for a double bulk and the other a more conventional pul the float only type rig, both had size 18 middy 6313 hooks on .10 line, I have tried a few other hooks but this pattern from middy rarely lets me down, it doesn't look like a strong pattern but it seems man enough to land most rogue carp providing there lip hooked.
I don't use any worm on this venue it seems to be a bit of a carp attractor at this time of year , so it was a ground bait and caster approach, and not to heavy on the casters, ground bait was my normal mix of veals gimps gold and sensas lake. At the start which was blown a tad early by steve, that was a first he is normally a couple of minutes late but he caught us all on the hop today, he must have a new battery in the clock. I cupped in one small ball at 4 mtrs, 2 at 11 mtrs and three at 14 mtrs.
I started at 4 mtrs and soon had a few small roach and skimmers and a hybrid of about 8oz, but that was my lot there really apart from a few small fish when I tried it during the match. I was soon out at 11 mtrs , and I was catching hand size skimmers straight away, plus a couple of the lakes better ones, and there isn't to much to say about my match really as it went well, swapping between the 11 and 14 mtrs lines feeding both lines with occasional balls of g bait with a sprinkling of casters, I started on caster hook bait , but a switch to maggots on the hook was better, but caught steadily till about the last 45 mins when the carp turned up , upsetting the skimmers, but at the end I had a quick look in my net and reckoned on 45lb ish, I was a bit fearful of going over 50 in my net but trig confirmed what I thought and it looked like mid 40,s. In fact it was 46.8 which was enough for first on the day , and it was a busy day as I had a lot of small skimmers plus some better ones, I never got through a lot of bait , probably 1/2 a pint of caster and 1 1/2 kilo of groundbait,
2nd was Dom (limp wrist ) on 103 with 35.1, catching mainly on 4 mm expander over groundbait , which was good to see as most thought Cary was going to be really tough, so we'll done to him.
3rd steve kedge on130 with 32lb
4th Dan squire on 55 with 29.5
5th Nick ewers on 125 with 29.3
6th Paul elmes on 60 with 29.2
That was close then. 😂
Off t harescombe again on Thursday  so plenty of bites there then and back to viaduct again next Sunday for a match on lodge lake again










1 comment:

  1. Great start to the league as per usual.
    Any chance of some of them hooklenghts?
    As you only used a couple lol.
    Bobby g

    ReplyDelete