Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 April 2016

Viaduct Thursday costcutter

Travelled with Ron hardiman today and after a good breakfast in the junction cafe just outside shepton mallet it was off to the fishery, there were a few of the regulars not here today but 33 were still booked in, so we were spread evenly between Campbell and Cary, so that was 16.5 on each.
I followed John Darby into the tin of dreams draw , and as he pulled out 2 stuck together  I had the one stuck out, so 99 ended up being my home for the day, its about halfway up the diagonal bank of Cary with lodge behind me , for company I had John the gimp Bradford on 97, and on 100 was the bideford sloth Tom downing, who had his minder in tow in the shape of his girlfriend who is a black belt in Tia kwon doe, I think that's spelt wrong , but she don't scare me.
Several rigs today, a shallow pellet, a deep pellet, a short meat rig and a deep wag for pellet on the deck.
At the start I cupped in some pellets at 14 mtrs, fired some 8,s out to the wag line, and threw some meat onto the short pole line, starting on the long pole line it took a while to get a bite, which was a 2lb skimmer, then I lost a carp, looking around it seemed very slow for everyone, I had a swirl on the pole line so tried the shallow rig but to no avail, Tom was still on the deck but noticed a swirl on his pole line, so after a couple of quick slaps with a pellet on his shallow rig he was attached to a carp, he landed that one then went out and caught another quickly, so I went back out again on the shallow rig and had one , the I lost the next two, one broke me and the other the hook pulled, me and tome were 4all just past the hour mark, but bites stopped on the pole lines, so it was out on the wag, but with the wind coming in and across from the right , presentation wasn't to good, I was getting odd liners, but Tom was out now getting bites and odd fish on the pellet wag, but with my total lack of preparation I had no line on a reel to do it, and my cattys were in dire need of some tlc as about every 4th pull the elastic was pulling off the pouches, that a job for tomorrow then, I soon had 5 different cattys strewn about my peg in various states of disrepair, but with a bit of jiggery pokery I had one to use, I add get 4 on the deep wag , including a nice ghostie common of about 9lb.
Going into the 30 minsI think Tom was on 11 carp and I was on 8, so still a bit adrift, I had tried the meat line earlier, but never had a touch, so I went in on it again, first drop I thought I missed a bite, 2 drop and I had a skimmer, then a carp then a skimmer and another skimmer , then two carp in two drops, so I was on the same numbers as Tom , but he had had a couple of biggies , which I thought may have given him the edge over me ,but the angler on 102 had 16 carp so he should have beaten us , but he had a net drop in before the weigh in and he loose Fed his mobile are the end aswell for good measure, his fishery were a bit smaller so his 13 went 105.2, next to weigh was Tom whose fish went 130.14, I thought it was going to be close but I reckoned I needed one more, and that's how it went as my fish went 125.8, close . But was enjoyable as the banter was good with Tom's girl friend even joining in, it fished a bit harder than of late , but the water was quite clear by viaduct standards , hopefully it will have a tinge more by Sunday when the spring league starts, and with 55 fishing again it should be good.
1st today was j mills on 114 with 166.13 caught mainly shallow
2nd Paul Blake on 110 with 161.8
3rd Tom downing on 100 with 130.14
4th Jim butcher on 112 with 126.4
5th me on 99 with 125.8
6th Ron hardiman on 130 with 122.2
Silver's
John Gray on 105 with 34.3 of mainly.skimmers on pellet

No comments:

Post a Comment