Total Pageviews

Monday 26 June 2017

Stafford moor weekend away

With my daughter being able to dog sit at the weekend, Judith and me were off to Stafford moor fishery with an overnight stay in the duke of York pub in eddesliegh, jubbly.
After a nice serve yourself breakfast in the Toby inn in whitchurch it was off on the 95 mile drive to the fishery, got there about midday and went off to find a peg to fish, it was quite busy but we settled on 27 tanners, not the best of pegs but its a venue where you can always catch a few on most pegs, the plan was to get Judith to catch a few , so with that in mind I only set up my drennan margin pole to fish meat at 7 mtrs and pellet the same distance down the side, it didn't take to long to get bites on the meat line, mainly skimmers, but they were mostly of a decent size, and an odd carp made an appearance, I got Judith to sit on the box and she had a good couple of hours, catching skimmers out in front and some nice carp to 10lb down the edge , she did really well with hardly any assistance from me , only occasional help with the disgorger or getting sections apart which got jammed cos of the rain they never forecast, by the end we had about 80lb of carp and 25lb of skimmers for a nice few hours, and more importantly Judith loved it.
It's a shame we can't get a few more wives and girlfriends out on the bank, it can only be good.
Back to the duke for tea and some drinks, and as normal both were good, ate to much again so didn't sleep to well, but up for breakfast as normal, and very nice to, a 4.75 from me as it had real tomatoes and not tinned, but Judith gave hers a straight 5, scrambled egg with smoked salmon, it did look good.
Off to the fishery and there were 34 fishing spread over tanners and woodpecker, into the draw bag and out comes 20 woodies, which is old 36, a proper wag peg, but with a strong wind blowing left to right through the gap it was always going to be a tough ask to make it work today as the float would be blown off the island to quickly. But I set up the pellet wag anyway and a pellet rig for 13 mtrs and one for my left hand margin as that can produce,
To begin with I fed to the island but the wind was making it hard to get any bait sensibly near the island, then started on the pole with 8mm hard pellet, especially as yesterday the meat was getting ragged by pickers and skimmers. I stuck with topple for the first hour, and did manage a couple of carp and skimmers, but it was good, a look on the pellet wag confirmed the wind was going to render it useless, so I swapped it for a big bodied drake wag, which although it was creeping through it was half sensible , a lead would have been better but that rod was at home in the shed, lol. I did get some carp on it but it was more difficult due to the bow in the line , so a few bites were missed, it seemed to be fishing hard on this lake , the only person I could see catching sensibly was Martin heard on peg 1 behind me , but he was helped by Dave Stockton on peg 2 developing a bad back ,and leaving early, but I think it was more like neck ache watching Martin catch, lol.
I had a good last hour when some fish turned up on the pole line, I reckoned I put 45lb in the net in the last 45 minutes, so by the end I thought I had about 90lb, and I was very close as I had 91.7, the lake was won by Martin (birthday boy) Hearn with 121lb.
Overall the match was won by Andy dare on peg 3 tanners, woodpecker weigh sheet below.
A lovely  weekend away with Judith , a few fish nice food , and hats off to jo and Paul as they are doing a sterling job on the fishery.

No comments:

Post a Comment