Total Pageviews

Friday 12 July 2019

Shiplate Thursday costcutter

Back to Shiplate farm today, but not after a stop off at breakfast at timothy,s , a roadside breakfast wagon, very nice to, met up with a couple of mardons ac anglers in the shape of John Roberts and Mike hills dad, Fairplay to John he is doing really well eating with his charity shop dentures.
Got to the fishery and 18 fishing so all good then, looks paid and got into the draw bucket early and was more than happy to see peg 1 looking back at me , possibly the best peg in Somerset after peg 10, (Mike hill). I soon had my kit at the peg as it's the shortest walk at the fishery, it's a lovely peg with an island to cast out to but it never seems to live up to its potential on that front.
But it does have a lovely right hand margin which normally comes good towards the end of the match, although it can be a bit torrid as the lake goes around into a bag at about 7mtrs, which most of the fish try and escape into after hooking, so the drennan margin pole would be coming out of the bag today.
Tackleing up there were plenty of fish on the surface, but moving to quickly, not mugging material at all, I set up two rigs for on the deck at 14 mtrs, one straight out and the other to my right in the entrance to the bay, suicide fishing. A shallow rig for both lines, a margin rig on the margin pole at topset and two, and lastly a pellet wag for the island.
On the all in I cupped in some pellets on the long pole lines, fed the island and started.sprinkling a.few.4,s down the edge.
I started.straight out on the long line and lost a.fouler first drop, and by the end of the first hour I was in three carp, all a bit small as I had 12lb on the clicker, I stayed in the deck for a while longer but all I could get was liners, so it was shallow fishing then, I had to keep swapping between the two long lines as the fish kept drifting away if you spent to much time on one line. The pellet wag was not really out into action, especially when the first cast ended up wrapped around one of those poxy brambles which seem to be adorning most fisheries at the moment, I did set it up again but never had a bite, so no more to be said about that.
I was getting odd fish from both long lines, and as far as I could see was ok , all the fish to the right did there best to get into the bay, but it for to say my now aging tourney pro stood the rest admirably, I've had it seriously bent, I couldn't see to many of the new poker stiff poles standing the sort of treatment I gave it today.
Towards the end some fish arrived in the margin and I fished the remainder of the match in the edge, I thought I had at least 120lb by the end , with the only.other person to have caught a few was venue expert gary(ned)flinders up on peg 6, but I was fairly confident he never had as much as me, I was last to weigh and my fish went just over 131lb, so I did the best peg in Somerset a bit of justice.
Top silvers weight was taken by Merc over on peg 14b with 24 1/2 of skimmers, weigh sheet below.




No comments:

Post a Comment