Total Pageviews

Friday 7 September 2018

Thursday costcutter at Shiplate farm

Travelled down with the diminutive Jason Radford today, I decided to stay in Bristol for breakfast and went to rachael,s in hengrove park, which is very nice, clean and reasonably priced, 4.5.
Nearly a mistake as the traffic getting out of Bristol was horrendous,  but still managed to get to the fishery with  ten minutes to spare, we got the kit out, paid the pools and it was draw time, thought I would have a change this time and waited for the last peg, didn't mind where I drew as we were on the two canals , I enjoy fishing these narrow lakes. Anyway peg 6 on west pool was going to be my home for the day, I had Geoff Francis to my left on 7, and Gary flinders to my right on peg 4, I only had to set up three rigs, one for down the middle , another for right across towards the car bank, the same rig would do for the margins aswell as it was the same depth, and another to fish about two foot from the far bank in about two foot of water.
At the start I fed each margin, fired some 6,s across then started down the middle, I gave it thirty minutes on that line , but nothing to show apart from some fizzing and a couple of liners, so across the far side it was then, on the slightly deeper rig, I soon hooked a ghostie of about 4lb, which tried to cheat when I had got down on my topkit, as it shot around the back of my nets, so I had to carefully thread my topkit being my.nets, which I did , and Geoff was suitably impressed as he didn't think I was that flexible any more. I had a couple more fish on the deeper rig, but with carp moving in the shallows towards the far side, I went across after them, and I enjoyed a good spell, catching steadily, using a banded 6hard pellet, the right hand margin was being visited by fish but they didn't want to settle, so I kept feeding it and went back to the far side, by now the ducks had turned up, probably because I was the only one feeding to the far side with a catty, but I don't mind ducks when I am fishing in shallow water, the fish seem to feed with more confidence under there webbed feet.
The same happened in the margin, I had ducks in there aswell, even happening to feed off the bottom, and the carp were in amongst them, and towards the end I couldn't get in fast enough, with the carp taking the pellet on the drop even in a foot of water, I thought I was playing catch up with Mike nicholls on peg 2, as I could hear him landing quite a few , and the fact he was calling the ducks all sorts of rude names meant he was getting some, but the feathered things were annoying him massively, lol. Unfortunately Gary being a fireman was kept away due to being on a shout somewhere in chipping sodbury, so Mike and me had a lot of room between us which obviously helped, I thought at the end I may have.150, but admitted to a  bit less, and Mike thought he had about the same, when the scales.got to me Mike hill was.top on the lake with 79lb, catching on the pole in his margins, obviously a  bit of an alien method to him as he  has been doing well of late getting himself caught by lots of fish on the method, ha ha .
I was surprised a bit to weigh 170lb, underclicked a bit today, a record for the lake,  it not for long.
We.got to Mike and started.to weigh him in and it soon became obvious it was going to be close, but he ended up coming out on top with 178lb , well done matey we both thanked Gary for not fishing today, although he did get back in time to do the weigh in, weigh sheet below.

No comments:

Post a Comment