Total Pageviews

Sunday 30 September 2018

Todber manor Sunday open

A bit of a rare one today, John candy doesn't normally have Sunday opens, but Mark poppleton organised this one , and it was fairly popular as 24 fished, which is enough on hillview, I took Jason with me and we stopped at cannards well for breakfast and was nice so a 4.5 from me.
Not a massively long drive, only about an hour and twenty, got there in plenty of time to enjoy a bit of banter with the organisers.
Into the draw bucket and I pull out 42, around the right hand side of the lake, it's a nice peg as it has a bit of space either side, and there is an island in front, which you can throw a wag or feeder at.
I set up three rigs, a meat rig for two plus two on front, a pellet rig for 13 mtrs, and a margin rig to again fish pellet, as the wind was ok I also set up a wag to fish to the isalnd, but plumbing up over there I really had to come a couple of mtrs off to get any depth, 2 foot.
At the start I began at 13 mtrs with banded 8mm over loosefed 6,s, whilst feeding the other lines, and apart from some liners and a list fouler the first 30 minutes past with nothing in the net, the only person I could see catching was now McMahon on peg 45, who was catching short ,(topset and one), I tried the wag but by now the wind had picked up blowing in and across from the right, pushing the wag through so no presentation what's so ever, so that was out down never  to be used again, so I came in on the short pole line on meat, but apart from a small tench that was my.only fish on the meat, Joe was still catching so I changed the hook and started feeding hard 6,s on that line, and it appeared it was the right choice as I began to get indications and put small carp in the net, and most of the rest of the match was spent on this 2+2 line, the wind was making it difficult even at this short range as it was tripping through with the wind, but I persevered and was doing ok as far as I could see, except.For joe who was catching sreadily, the wind coming off his back definitely helped with his presentation,  but Fairplay he was doing well. During the match I did get a few on the 13 mtr line and in the last hour I had 4 or 5 down the left hand margin, I had fed left and right, but the wind made fishing to the right all but impossible, whereas the left I was going with the wind to a certain extent helping to get some sort of presentation, I started the match in a t shirt enjoying the warm sunshine, by the end I was wrapped up as best I could to try and stay warm, and the drennan  windstopper did it's job and I stayed warm throughout.
I thought I had just over 100lb by the end, I seem to be having a hard time sizing the fish here as I went over in one of my nets again, with fish varying in size from less.than a pound up and into  double figures it can be hard, well for me anyway lol. My nets went 137lb which was good enough for second on the day,
Tom mangnal took my picture and he got me just right in the middle of me giving him a bit of stick, hence the face pulling.
Luckily going over never cost me as Joe was the clear runaway winner with over 190lb.
Too silver weight went to Dave willmott on peg 25 with 23lb, which he reckons he caught mainly in the last 5 minutes ha ha.
Weigh sheets below as normal


No comments:

Post a Comment