Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 September 2018

Beer boats

No match today, for a change Judith and me decided last minute to go to beer for a day in the self drive boats, launched off the beach. First though we stopped at Taunton Dean services for breakfast, not to bad, a 4 ,
Simon who runs the operation at beer was going to give us a ring just after 7 if it was unlikely we could launch, mainly due to South easterly wind blowing into the bay, which can make a bit choppy,
We got to the beach at 9.15 and met.Simon who thought at the moment it was to choppy, but the forecast was for the wind to decrease, so we went and had a coffee to kill and hour, then wandered back onto the beach, Simon thought it was a bit to lumpy still, but we managed to convince him that we would stay out for more than an hour so he relented, and put a boat into the sea, there was also a space on the beach car park by now, so I went up into the town car park to move the van, only.to find I had overstayed my ticket by 20 minutes, and was now the proud new owner of a fifty quid parking ticket,MINT.
Never mind, we.were.Soon heading out towards beer head, where we stopped just short of the end and anchored up for a go, we gave it just over an hour, I never had a bite , but Judith did it to me again landing a couple of nice plaice.
But with no other bites, I pulled the anchor up and moved out into the rough ground beyond beer head, dropped the hook. We.dropped down a bit of a mixture of squid and worm baits, and soon had some rattles.from small bream, again Judith had the first and was beginning to  gloat a bit lol.

,
 I'm just getting used to it, pheromones again.,  but I soon had some bream of my own, as we were doing a species hunt today and not numbers, I switched to squid baits on the bottom, which have me a procession of the lsd,s, but it was another species, even if it.was.doggies. But with us using light spinning rods, even the dogs were giving a good account of themselves.
So I was.behind by one species, but not for long as I had what was the smallest  thornback I had ever seen, but still another species.
So level again, then she goes and gets a mackerel, so up again, not long after that I've had a better bite which resulted in a small smoothound, which on these light rods is an enjoyable experience.
We had to make several moves during the day as the fishing was quite difficult at times, maybe down to the fact the water wasn't as clear as it should be, even the mackerel anglers seemed.to be blanking, so maybe it was.just one of those days, we had plenty of bites from bream, but they were mostly small, less.than a pound, Judith had the biggest maybe a pound and a half, and today I was definitely the dog whisperer, couldn't escape them at one point, but it's better than nothing,
All in all it was a good day which we both  thourally enjoyed, it made.a.lovely change from match fishing, even if Judith is hyper competitive.
If any one fancied a go give Simon a ring on 07773923120, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment