Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 November 2019

A quick catch up

Judith and me have been away for a week at Stafford moor, so no Wi-Fi , we left last Saturday in the evening, stopped at Churchill for a bag of chips and the old can wouldn't start, called the rac out and a faulty starter was the problem, he got us started but decided it would be to risky to continue with my van so we went home and loaded up judiths,s van instead, so all good , got to lodge in the dark but at least we got there, up early the next morning as we were back up the motorway for the last round of mat Culpin,s snake lake series, we stopped at maccy d,s  for breakfast, it filled a hole, nuff said. Got to the fishery and fair play to mat he had got enough reserves in to make sure we had a full house again. Early into the draw and out comes 40 which is the first corner on the speci lake. I like the peg as there are always some resident fish along these end banks. I intended to fish pellet up and down the shelf at 14 mtrs to begin with, feeding sparingly and if it went wrong (no bites) I would go a bit further and fish meat, and that's how it panned out, Mike duckett on 39 took an early lead with a couple of carp off the island, it took me three hours to get a carp, and that was at 16mtrs on meat,
After that I had to go to 17mtrs again in meat and had four more carp, which was going to be good enough to win the section with 32lb, so it meant I ended up on the same points as john Hawkins , but he did me in weight, I was never going to recover from drawing the squircle at Shiplate twice, but I'm not complaing John fished a good series and deserved.the win, so it was a trip down the motorway £350 quid better off,




After Sunday the weather went downhill massively, with northerly gales and heavy rain, I managed.to get out for few hours on weds morning and had 7 carp on the waggler on woodies, with a nice near double ghostie being the pick of the bunch.
That evening with a bit of a weather window as far as the wind was , it was briefly going to go southerly, so we shot off down to ilfracombe pier for a few hours, it was fairly good weather wise but rain (torrential) was.meant to start at about 5pm, but it arrived at about 4, but we still had a few whiting and a small conger, no real need to say who caught the most.
And we got soaked , so it was pack up early and go for fish and chips, all very nice, thank God for Gore tex,
We fished up on woodies again on Friday where we had a good few hours fishing banded pellet at 11 mtrs on peg 10, it took a while to start catching but when they turned up it didn't take to long to rack up nearly 100lb, as the fish on here are of a very good stamp, and fight really well.
The week was gone all to quickly, as always the lodges are spot on, warm and dry, and you can always expect a warm welcome from jo and paul, smashing fishery and accommodation.
Sunday and back down to viaduct for round 4 of the silvers league, and I needed a first or possibly a second in section to keep me in the running, so imagine my.horror to pull out 55, which is in the middle of the car park bank on lodge lake, it's the shallow end, with barely 3 foot of water anywhere, so I set up a rig for skimmers which I was going to fish for at 14mtrs , then a rig with spread shot for roach hopefully, I've had the peg before and caught best off to the left at 6mtrs.
At the start I fed 6balls of groundbait at 14 mtrs(positive), but with it being so shallow I didn't expect to have any not from the lakes decent skimmers, I did set up a wag for corn at 20mtrs, but a couple of tries during the match gave me.nothing, the skimmers.were.further up the lake in the deeper water, my 14 mtrs line and wag line were about 8inches shallower than the 6 mtr line. So that was where I spent most of the match catching small 1-3oz roach,  it I was keeping busy, and I wasn't seeing to much activity, so I was happy to stick with it, I did get a 1 1/2 lb perch, and a 8oz skimmer on the long line but the rest were roach and small hybrids, I ended up with 15.12 which was enough for the section win, the skimmers.never.really fed, apart from paddy curry on 68 who was getting odd better ones on corn over groundbait, and ended up with a tad.over 25lb, which was top on the day., This now leaves me second in the league with two matches to go, rich aherne has done well and is too at the mo with 4 section wins, which is no mean feat as there are some really good silvers angles.fishing this league, and.  Bob gullick, lol. But only after.Two frosts.



No comments:

Post a Comment