Total Pageviews

Friday 22 November 2019

Huntstrete

It was going to be a cold one today, so a quick stop in the cafe in Belland,( got to spell that correctly) drive for a couple of bacon and egg sarnies, as usual very nice.
It took the normal 12 minutes to get to the fishery, well before draw time , but I wasn't the first there , it wasn't to long though before there were  20 of us in attendance, so cowboy Ken sorted the draw out, peg 2 was out in with the option for anyone  who drew it to fish peg 1 if they do wished. After the short walks were sorted it was time for the rest of us, I got in quite early, and yep, there it was peg 2 disc in my hands, it's about as far away from the skimmers , f1,s and carp than you can get on the lake at this time of year, I drove the van to the peg as there is a parking spot 6 paces from the swim, I decided to opt for peg one, and as I was stood on the platform counting the stones and leaves on the bottom, it was really clear, an f1 wandered through, so just maybe there might be a few about.
The swim looks nice with long reedy corner to the right which in the warmer weather holds plenty of fish, but today the bottom was visible all round the end, there's an aerater as an option to fish under and as it's 6 foot close to it it may be a good option, my other option was for hopefully some skimmers off to the left .
So I set up a rig for off to the left, a.8g , which is quite heavy, but it was very windy with a strong easterly blowing into my corner, and it was 8 foot deep, a  rig for by the aerator, and just in case a bread dobbing rig for around the feed fringe, my closest angler was Gary Bowden on peg 4, and on the other bank on 31 was Jeff Grant.
At the start I cupped in groundbait on two lines at 14 mtrs and also on a 16mtr line, I then began on the dobbing rig, I have it 20 minutes but never had a sign, which I really expected to be the outcome, it was out over the groundbait lines and I started catching small roach and perch(bumblebees)on maggot, I had put a casters and pinkies in the groundbait, and a switch to caster on the book bought a slightly better stamp of roach, I had to keep swapping lines to ensure the bites kept coming, and regular groundbait too ups definitely helped, and judging by the bankside banter very little was being caught, especially silvers wise, so just stuck with it, plopping small roach into the net, I did get two net skimmers which had obviously either got lost or felt sorry for me, one about 4oz, and the other probably just short of a pound, I had more bites than anyone else I should think, so not to bad for a swim no one ever wants, when the scales arrived at me as I was the last to weigh, Dave Gillard was top with quite a lowly weight of 19lb
And top silvers was Wayne storey on peg 8 with 5 better skimmers on the feeder. My small fish net went 7.6 which was good enough for second in the silvers, happy days.
This Sunday I'm going to Chilton trinity for an open match, looking forward to that as it's a good deep lake of a uniform depth so the winner tends to come from anywhere,


No comments:

Post a Comment