Total Pageviews

Friday 25 October 2019

Huntstrete coffin dodgers

I was back to bridge today following bramblegate over a month ago, I still maintain brambles have no place in a lake, they are about as useful as wasps and snow.
A good turnout today with 23 fishing, so pegging would be hard, with a few pegs going in that would not normally be used, I really wanted an island swim, as they are good for carp and f1,s aswell as skimmers which seem to enjoy living in the channels between them.
I got into the draw bag early on, and out comes 19, it's in the left hand corner on the car park bank, no island but a bit of room,
There is an island in front, but it's probably 25mtrs away, a lead of wag would get there , but it would mean casting beyond the peramiters of my swim, and as we weren't at viaduct I probably wouldn't get away with it (lol).
I decided on a silvers approach in the main today as it's got more form for those than carp, although there is a nice looking right hand margin, so I set up a rig for hard pellet down to the bush there, there is a reedy bay to the left but for some reason there is a rope across it, and something the club lovingly call a fish refuge, basically it's an underwater dinner table which the fish can rush under when a cormorant lands,  hmmm, don't think so. There is one in the right hand swim in this bank and it does cause major problems with carp going around and under it, the ropes are ok but underwater structures are a pain.
I set up two divers rigs, a .5g rig for caster and soft pellet, it was the same depth at topset and two as it was at 13 mtrs at 11and 1o'clock, and a .6g for worm and caster straight out where it was a few inches deeper, a 16 guru maggot hook on that one, and a 18 in the same pattern for the caster/maggot/soft pellet rig.
At t the start I cupped in one ball with a bit of worm and caster on the short line, and three balls straight out with the same contents, then on the two angled lines just some groundbait with some soaked micros,
The water was very clear and I could see the bottom of my nets , I started short but as I half expected very few bites , only a handful of small roach and perch, so 45 mins in and I was expecting to catch over the straight out line on a life of worm, but only a small perch there, so if the right with soft pellet, at last a skimmer, so on with the maggot and an f1, but no more bites, so over to left with maggot, the float settled and went straight under, a small carp of about two pounds was soon netted, and I went on to catch a couple more small carp and f1,s before bites stopped, over to the right and another f1, then nothing , so refed and went to the left, another couple of f1,s and again nothing, so again refed, and went right, and that was the pattern for the match, swapping between the two angled swims nicking an f1 or two off each, I had one skimmer over the worm line. Also the margin was hard, I had an f1 and a 5lb carp late on, in the main the lake fished quite hard but it was fair, I thought I had about 30lb, but several anglers were admitting to about the same, so it was going to be close,
My fish went 36.5

which was just enough to beat Harry Muir on his favourite (and everyone elses) peg number 11 by a few ounces.
Silver,s went to organiser Ken on peg 24 with 16lb+, well done.
Weigh sheets below, not a massive weight match, but enjoyable for those who caught a few, unfortunately with the numbers today some swims were out in today which aren't normally out in,


No comments:

Post a Comment