Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 October 2019

Mat Culpin,s snake lake series

Landsend for the penultimate round of this series, and it's my favourite venue so looking forward to it, had a change for breakfast today and went to the Wessex flyer in hengrove , which is a brewer's fayre restaurant, not the cheapest to be fair, but it was nice, 4.65, eat as much as you like with cereals juices, cakes and a full english, all good.
Got to the fishery in plenty of time, and a full house again, fair play to mat, as it's always a headache making sure all the pegs are full.
First into the draw bucket and out pops peg 9, not a peg I would have chosen as it's one of the shallowest, but I quite like shallow water at this venue as the temps start to drop. It looks good with a few options. Oh yes and it was the golden peg aswell.
there is a nice bit of shallow water slightly to the left against the island , but at only about 8inches deep I wasn't sure the fish would want to be in such shallow water.
And just to the right across on the island there were some reeds which came out far enough to give me full depth against them.
I set up a meat rig for against the reeds, and the same rig would do for the short meat line, a pellet rig for the right hand margin towards the empty pallet, and lastly a pellet rig for about a mtr off the island in about 15 inches of water, hopefully the fish would be happy in that depth., Bait tray was a simple affair today, some hard 4,a for feeding, some 6,s and 8,s for the band, and some 8mm meat, no confusion there then.
At the start I fed a couple of spots over towards the reeds with meat, some pellets towards the island, and some down the edge.
I began over by the reeds and had a few fish in the first hour, I had a quick look on the short meat line , I had a liner but that was all, so back to the reeds on meat for a couple more, but it didn't last , so across on the pellet line, I had two fish in the first two drops, I was feeding with a catty, and I started to see odd fish right up in the shallow water, so I shallowed up a bit more and pushed the rig further up the shelf, I had a couple of fish again, but the rig wasn't right, so I got off the box and made one up, which was better, and the catch rate increased for a while, I had a look in the margin and had a fish but that was my only bite from there. I did catch some more by the reeds in the last hour, I also had three fish in the last hour on the short meat line, the shallow swim went very iffy towards the end, the fish would be there when you fed, but they wouldn't stay there with the pole over there heads, some colour seemed to have dropped out during the match, my last fish from the island was a nice double figure ghostie, which I had seen several times in the swim but not caught till now, and it certainly pulled hard, which isn't surprising when you see the size of its tail.
At the end I had 110lb on the clicker, I new I had won the section, but several people were admitting to 100lb+,
I wasn't to far out as I weighed just over 123lb, which was enough for the win and the added bonus of the golden peg money aswell, jubbly. Lee(honest I've only got 70lb) Williams was second with 111lb from peg 21.
Weigh sheets below,


It fished ok today considering the drop in temps and all the rain we have had, so back for the last round in a fortnight, may be a bit different by then , especially if it gets much colder.
Just be quickie to end, kev molten give me a ring in veals or on my mobile, just a catch up as we havnt spoken for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment