Total Pageviews

Friday 24 January 2020

A couple of short ones

Wednesday and down to Landsend fishery again for a costcutter, only after a breakfast at lillypool cafe which was very good 4.7. Got to the fishery and only 8 in attendance, so it didn't take to long to sort to the pegging out, plenty of room for all, and it was good to see the lakes full, not surprising considering all the rain we have had, everywhere seem to have water in abundance at the mo, and plenty of bankside mud to go with, although Mike is reinstating the paths with fresh stone, anyway I let that renowned drawbag  Adrian Clark pull my peg, lucky 13 looking back at me from the ticket, I certainly.scorched the path going to that one, the right end for sure, lots of fish in this area at the mo, it's an end peg aswell.
Now just as I trial Mike was going to let us use bread today,  but only on the hook, this peg has some form with catching fish shallow in the winter, fishing off to the right at 14 mtrs but normally with white maggot on the hook, so I set up a rig to fish at about half depth there which is about three foot as this peg is the deepest on the lake where the aerator has pushed the silt away, another rig for meat in the same area of the bread didn't work, and a pellet rig for 16 mtrs along the right hand end bank,  it spa couple of tries during the match gave me nothing so no more on that, at the start I went straight out with bread on the 14 mtr line and had a nice carp virtually straight away, and apart from a few on meat towards the end I stayed with the bread all match, catching in the deep water , a couple shallow on the left hand end bank, and a bad a good spell fishing bread off the deck down by empty pallet 14, at the end I thought I had about 120lb, but I had more in my second net than I thought, in fact I had 85 lb in it so 5 lb over, but I still changed 145lb which is a nice day on a winter's day, Colin butler second on peg 24 with 58lb also on bread, Mike is now going to allow it matches only between the start of November and the end of February. Weigh sheet below.
Thursday and I was back to Shiplate farm for the last round of ron starks silvers league, just a quick update on Ron who had a bit of a heart wobbler last Thursday, he is still in the bri, but the news today was good, he is up and about but he has a difficult time ahead , so all the best matey from me and of all your fishing mates, hope to see you soon, I needed to win my section and have league leader Paul faiers come second or worse for me to beat him, I wanted to be in the same section as him, but it never happened, he was on 14 b on the far bank and me, I was in 4, which is ok I think it is the fairest section, for company I had Burnham on sea,s finest ratcatcher, Alan (the pied piper) quantrill on 3 and ash Tompkins on 5, Alan suggested.a pound bet, and in the absence of mat culpin I felt it would be rude not to accept.
I thought it was going to be hard today , especially off the back of a few frosts, which had seen the lakes partly frozen a couple of days ago, only two rigs, a .3g drennan as4 with a 20 guru maggot hook which would do close for roach or a lighter rig over the long line, and the other a .4g in frostie with an 18 hook of the same pattern for skimmers(hopefully). The whistle went and I putt two balls to the left at 13mtrs with caster in,  two to the right with micros for soft pellet, and one straight in front with a bit of both in.
Started short but not a bite, so went to the left long line and had a small roach, followed by a couple more, not what I wanted as I needed to win my section, so switched to the right with a soft pellet, and had a bite which resulted in a 2 1/2lb bream, proper handy . But that was my only bite on pellet, the match as expected was a really torrid affair, with bites from any quality being rare, it was ok getting bites from micro roach but they weren't going to be section winning fish, so I kept plugging away with double and treble maggot over the long lines, I ended up with 6 skimmers, 5 from the right where I had fed soaked micros in the groundbait and one from the left over the caster infused mix, only a couple of slightly better roach straight in front, I did feed caster to my right down by an overhanging bush and towards the end had a few 2oz roach and a lovely hybrid of over a lb, so I thought I realistically thought I may have 8lb so was shocked when steve called out 11lb, so I won my section,  it so did paul, so the league stayed the same as it was at the start of the match, Paul first, me second and Dave wride third, so a bit of a pickup , it's a nice little league which is enjoyable as it does take a bit of thought, as most silvers only matches are. And thanks to Alan next door on the quid allowing me to go large on the way home 😁
Weigh sheet below, thanks for running it again Ron and we all hope and expect you to be back and run it again next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment