Total Pageviews

Friday 21 February 2020

Fond farewells and last two on the trot

Well for those who don't already know, myself and veals have parted company, it was a difficult decision as my 5 years with them have been really enjoyable, I've walked away leaving some good friends behind, and fortunately the split was amicable with no bad feeling which I appreciated, but when a job cropped up only a ten minute drive from home I felt I had to take it, so as from next Tuesday you will find me at Premier angling down by the marina in Keynsham, only 4 days a week, but that will do me, so pop in for a chat or to stock up on all your fishing requirements, I will be there in Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday and Saturday, with Nick and Kieran aswell there will be loads of good advice on any aspect of the sport you choose to do.
On Wednesday it was the costcutter at Landsend fishery, only 9 turned up, I did the pegs and managed to leave out flyer peg 11 (idiot) so when I drew peg 8 I wasn't to happy, (ha ha my fault), not to much chance of carp here at the mo, but as it's a leap year it may happen,  but it never, I ended up fishing for silvers, and that was difficult, I did get one small carp on meat over by the weedbed but that was the only bite I had there, all the carp seemed to have moved to the close end of the lake, Dale housen on 5 won with 60lb, and Mike duckett on peg one was second with 55, and I won the silvers with 8lb, so money back with a slight profit, it was my last Wednesday costcutter, but Mike is going to carry them on for now, so to book in give him a ring on 07977545882

Thursday and I was off to huntstrete on bridge pool for the silvers match, again into the draw bag and out comes a peg along the road bank, no6, these roadside swims have been in fairness ones to avoid this season, but last year they were very consistent for silvers, I had Chris rolfe to my left on 7, but the next angler to my right was Harry Muir on 3.
The weather today was forecast at best to be shit, and it didn't disappoint as we had gales rain and hail during the match, nice.
With that in mind I only set up one rig, a drennan as7 in a .8g with a guru f1 maggot hook in a size 18, a good hook for skimmers and roach. I plumbed up at topset and two, and at topset and 4 where it was the same depth, also to the right at the same distance(topset and four) where it was 8 inches shallower. I began with one ball on the short line, and two on each of the longer lines. Starting on the short line my first bite was a 12oz skimmer, on double maggot, but after that micro perch became a problem, so for the remainder of the match I fished single caster on all lines, and towards the end of the match the wind dropped enough for me to be able to fish 13 mtrs at the bottom of the island slope, and that have me a couple more skimmers, so even though the weather made it uncomfortable I had a nice day, ending up with 24lb which was too weight on the day for silvers, there is a lesser payment for the best carp weight and that went to kev winstone who drew 19 again and had over 30lb again it be had a few more silvers this time to go with his f1,s.
And as is normal the weigh sheets are below.

Todber manor for me on sunday, so Judith and me are having a few days away down near Gillingham, whistley farm in a nice log cabin with its own small fishing lake on the doorstep, be rude not to for a couple of hours tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment