Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 August 2014

Angling trust, aca masters, the glebe fishery

This fishery is a bit of a drive for one days fishing, it's a 240 mile round trip for me, so well over 2 hours driving but it's worth it from time to time as the sport can be good, I picked ken Rayner up at 5.30 and 2 hours 20 mins later we pulled into Mallory park for breakfast with a bit of time to kill before the 8.30 draw, it's a nice match as some of the best anglers in the country attend with the  ringers , James dent and the likes, we had to go to the fishery for the draw, which as is normal at this event it's all a bit haphazard , even though we were first to pay our pools we were last to draw, whilst waiting me and ken took a brief stroll around pool 1 where I commented on liking the look of peg 1, then we took a look at uglies pool and ken reckoned he was entitled to fish on there as he had never fished it , back to the draw and with mark poppleton eventually getting the last draw sequence , lo and behold peg 1 pool one for me and a nice draw on uglies for ken,
The peg was nice as I was sheltered from the gusty wind and I had lots of options, margins each side, long margin to a reed bed to my as it's an end peg, corn at 5 mtrs works well here as meat is banned and 2 pellet rigs for 14 mtrs  one deep and a shallow rig just in case, finally a pellet wag rod was assembled with a 4ssg j range styro was , it was probably a 45 yard sling to the far bank but with a favourable wind easily attainable, I was the only person on the lake to set one up, but with the wind getting worse that wasn't supriseing , most seemed to opting for a feeder approach , the method is banned on this complex and roar set up must have a minimum of a 20 inch hook length , and with reeds opposite feeder fishing can be a bit torrid with a hook link of that size, then again fishery owner Roy Marlow is known to work in mysterious ways from time to time, but it's a nice well kept fishery so he must be right most of the time.
Not to much to say about the fishing really as I had a nice day catching 35 smallish carp on all methods , starting on the long pellet rig on the deck and had a few, went long to the reeds and had some shallow there, went on the wag and caught well for a while then they backed off, I did lose a few on the wag as it felt as though there was a length of line going across the swim as I could feel the fish on the end, but they were tethered just going side to side, the corn line gave a few and the margin also had fish in it, in the end, it seemed as though I was going round in circles, the match was only 5 hours which seems really short and it was all over to soon, I was last to weigh on this lake and when the scales got to me 114.10 was winning the section, I thought it was going to be close, but I just managed to edge it with 115.12, so section win and 100 quid in the pocket, that just about covered the day day then !!!!!.
As for the team , we had a few indifferent results, so we ended up 6th I think which isn't to bad in a quality field,
The ringer team won it for the second year running so well done to them, no overall results as you can't get near the sheets , I could have had a look if I waited till after the raffle but with  a long drive we couldn't be assed, over 200lb won it with lots of 100lb back up weights, confirming it as certainly one of the premier waters in the country, but it's not a day ticket water , you need to be a member to fish it, so it never really gets the pressure that commercials get,
I fan ally walked back through my door at a little after 9.30pm , now that's a bit to long of a day for me, off to the sedges tomorrow a mere 40 miles down the road , easy.














No comments:

Post a Comment